The pub is one of the key elements of the village, which is partly protected by a Flemish heritage decree. The protected buildings are the Saint Ursula church (built in 1840) and the castle Neufcour.
The archives of the Land Register confirm that the house was built in 1842. However, in the past the pub was smaller. The difference in colour of the tiles is a silent relic, which refers to the fact that part of the pub was a candy store before.
For a while it seemed that the people of Eizeringen would no longer be insured against big thirst. In 1999, the 85-year old Marguerite said that on Christmas eve she would uncork her last bottle of beer. She kept the local pub open for more than 51 years. After Christmas 99 the curtain would definitively fall over the only pub left at the church square of Eizeringen.
But the unexpected happened. The Panneels brothers decided to take over the pub, to preserve the original pub name and to continue the village tradition.
The restoration works took more than five years (2001-2005). Kurt and his father Maurice did a large part of the works themselves. They took care not to destroy the typical atmosphere, which reigns in a traditional Belgian pub. The ticking of the Westminster clock adds something special.
Soon 'In de Verzekering tegen de Grote Dorst' gained a solid reputation as an inn where one can enjoy a traditional gueuze and kriek. Nowadays, the pub is known by beer lovers from all over the world.
In 2009 the pub won the award 'Beste pub of Flanders' The contest was organised by the tv programme Vlaanderen Vakantieland and Tourism Flanders.
Since September 2010, 'In de Verzekering tegen de Grote Dorst' is also listed in Ratebeer's list of best beer destinations of the world.
In 2011 and 2012, the pub was awarded a Ratebeer Gold Award in the category 'Best Beer bars in the World'.
In 2015 en 2016 'In de Verzekering tegen de Grote Dorst' was named 'Best Beer Bar in Belgium' and 'Best Beer Bar in the World'.